Life is a Highway, I Wanna Ride it all Night Long

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Little Person Inside of Us


 A classic, timeless song! Autumn Leaves was written in 1945 in French, "Les feuilles mortes" ("The Dead Leaves") with music by Joseph Kosma and lyrics by poet Jacques Prevert. Yves Montand introduced "Les feuilles mortes" in 1946 for the film Les Portes de la Nuit. American songwriter Johnny Mercer wrote English lyrics in 1947.

It is amazing how the simplest of words and music can have such an impact. The metaphor of falling leaves symbolizing a lost relationship is so brilliant. The song became both a pop and jazz standard, recorded hundreds of times. Listen to a few of the great recordings of this wonderful song as sung by Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole and many other of the great singers of our time...here are the words:


The falling leaves
Drift by the window
The autumn leaves
Of red and gold

I see your lips
The summer kisses
The sunburned hands
I used to hold

Since you went away
The days grow long
And soon I'll hear
Old winter's song

But I miss you most of all
My darling
When autumn leaves
Start to fall
Deep Thoughts...
Remember that SNL Skit?   I am such an introspective thinker.  I am not one to get stuck in the past but I am one to remember the past with fondness.  A close family member or friend who knows my past might say right about now "Really Val, with fondness, really, your past with fondness?"  Well everyone has a past, and it is what makes up our life story.  My past was not all a rosey picture.  My life as a child was incredibly lonely and sad, and yet I remember it fondly.  Maybe that is a healthy way of thinking?  I think I miss the innocence of time, the love that just was naturally in me and extended out to everyone, the childlike trust and forgiving person that lived in me, the Little Person I think lives in all of us, maybe we just suppress it as we age.  I wonder if we all miss that little person being a part of our everyday life.  Maybe all we have to do is reach deep inside and not let the world around us alter that little person as we let that part of us shine once again.  Our life experiences, good or bad,  may be the reason that little person innocence, love and trust is suppressed.  Callous grows over tenderness after many tough walks without some form of healing to take place.  

I happen to be a believer in God, and as I reflect on His word, it is a childlike faith that we are called to possess.  I am beginning to finally see that the childlike faith He calls us to,  has tremendous healing power and allows us to feel, trust, and love in a way that along with His sovereign love will sooth the callous we've grown as protection from the rough walks and turns our lives have gone through. Callousness as protective as it is, has it's place on the feet and hands from hard work but in our heart?  Callousness reaps resentment and bitterness inside us, whether we want to believe it or not, and we are warned of the toll it takes on our hearts.

"The Autumn Leaves..."
I get reminiscent at this time of year and think back to the wonderland that little person lived in.  That wonderland was a fun loving aspect of my life even in the worst of time, NO it wasn't fantasy, it was a faith that I was cared for and loved by someone far greater than anyone that could hurt me. Too little to make sense of it, just trusted it.   I still have that little person in me and I want to tap into the resilient spirit that came with those times.  Bouncing back, not letting every remark, action, or silent attack aimed at me, affect me in such away that I point the pain back at myself.  I want to bounce back on the path that gets me on Life's Highway and let's the best of that 'little person' shine and be a blessing to others.

Ok way to deep for today?  I know, right?  I promised honesty in my blog.  While this may seem too deep, it is this type of reflective thinking that is healing for me.  Healing is comforting to me and will help keep me on the road to success as I work to stay healthy in life. 

Getting Back On The Highway...
The words of the song, "The Autumn Leaves," that I chose to include as part of my blog today are meaningful to me, especially at this time of year. 
I'm inside our home, looking out our family room window at the beautiful landscape my husband created for us to enjoy.  I'm watching the leaves fall, thinking on the words in this song, and reflecting on things falling away in life.  The hope is to recapture the goodness of the past, heal from it, and embrace new growth as it comes around the corner.

The beauty of it all, is that...
The 'darling,' in my life, is that childlike faith.

"The sunburned hands, I used to hold"  This line reminds me that God's healing hands held my hands when I hurt as a child, and He still does the same today, I just sometimes forget that.

I am going to continue my pursuit down this highway, choosing to live my life out in faith, leaving the rest in God's hands.  It's just me, Val

Caio!



No comments:

Post a Comment